This condition could be associated with Cushing’s syndrome, post-pregnancy or diabetes.
Development of stretch marks takes place through following stages-
- The skin gets stretched beyond a capacity
- The underlying skin tissue gets tear-off
- The body responds to this by forming a scar tissue
- The stretch marks now look red, but later fades
- The stretch marks then turn white
- The mark now then becomes permanent.
Table of Contents
Why Microdermabrasion helps in Stretch Marks?
Microdermabrasion is one of the easiest and the best-known ways to remove the dead skin cells from the top visible layer of the skin.
It is a mechanical exfoliation of the epidermal layer of the skin.
This process does not eliminate stretch marks but helps lessen and improve the appearance of stretch marks.
Microdermabrasion is a recently introduced in cosmetic treatment, which uses fine crystals as an exfoliant.
These are those fine crystals, which are then blasted on skin’s surface to get the epidermis layer of the skin out.
Now, since the upper layer of the skin is removed, this stimulates the healing ability of the skin and hence collagen fibre stimulation.
This stimulation of collagen fibers, help skin become plump and rejuvenate.
The Process of Microdermabrasion
Microdermabrasion is a non-chemical, non-invasive way to get rid of those stubborn stretch marks.
During the procedure, the fine crystals of aluminum oxide, are sprayed onto the skin in order to remove the outermost layer of the skin.
Simultaneously, the dead skin and the blasted crystals are removed using the suction pump.
The force of the suction pump and spray can be varied or changed, a strong spray can be used to penetrate deeper into the skin.
Now, this healthy skin would grow and replace the scarred tissue of the skin with a new one which is now healthy. With successive treatment, the marks get smaller and fade away.
There are four simple steps in this treatment of microdermabrasion-
- The microdermabrasion machine pulls and raises the affected area to work on.
- It then leads to mild swelling and brings the impurities to the surface of the skin.
- The vacuum then shoots a stream of fine crystal across the targeted skin patch.
- The vacuum then collects used up crystals and dead skin, which is then disposed of.
The technician or dermatologist moves the microdermabrasion tool over the affected or targeted area, applying uniform pressure to remove the upper layer of the skin, without harming the lower layers of the skin.
Specialized lotions and creams are applied between the sessions, in order to re-hydrate the skin.
To get maximum results, people undergo treatments 5-12 times, which are done 2-3 weeks later. If stretch marks are large in number, more than 12 times of treatment can be given.
A single treatment session can continue from 30 to 45 minutes, but for a large number of stretch marks, it can continue until 2 hours also.
Benefits of Microdermabrasion for Stretch Marks
- No anesthesia required – this treatment of microdermabrasion does not require patient to be given anesthesia. So there is no need of getting injections of anesthesia.
- Simple process – this process of microdermabrasion is simple and easy to perform and is non-invasive and painless.
- Can be performed on any skin type – microdermabrasion treatment for stretch marks can be performed on any skin type, regardless of the texture and complexion.
- Minimal side effects – microdermabrasion treatment has almost no known side effects. Thus, it is one of the best-known methods for treatment of stretch marks.
- Rejuvenates skin – microdermabrasion has an additional benefit of making the skin plump, glowing and make the skin rejuvenated.
- Time effective – this treatment can easily be performed during lunch timings, and the costumes can then again return back to work within 30-45 minutes.
- Immediate makeup – the greatest advantage of this treatment is that makeup can be immediately following the treatment session, and the person can get back to his or her work.
Precautions with Microdermabrasion
Here are some key precautions to be taken with Microdermabrasion :
- Though microdermabrasion treatment has minimum side effects, it is seen that redness and swelling of the treated part. these side effects can last from 1 hour to 2 days.
- It is recommended that waxing should be avoided 2 days before and 7 days after the treatment for stretch marks.
- Avoid swimming in chlorinated water for the next few days.
- Avoid using dark makeup or specialized products and creams, use gentle skin care products.
- Regularly apply sunscreen, in order to avoid sunburns. It is important to avoid going in UV or getting in contact with UV light.
- Avoid situations which may lead to excessive perspiration.
- Avoid using hot water to the affected part for cleansing, because this part is more sensitive than the rest of the skin.
Microdermabrasion is a cosmetic, non-invasive and a painless technique of removing stretch marks, which uses fine crystals of aluminum oxide as an exfoliant.
This method is incredibly and is simple to perform. It helps to rejuvenate the skin and helps to bring the skin a fresh look and more glow.
It is such a treatment which can diminish even white old stretch marks, but it is difficult than those red or purplish marks, which can be easily treated with this technique.
Though, some precautions are always needed to be taken in these methods.
Our articles are written by writers with a deep domain understanding of the topic and usually hold Bachelors / Masters degrees. The articles are peer-reviewed before being uploaded on the website. Our writers spend 10s of hours researching and writing articles which are factual and comprehensive. Check out about our team in About Us section.