Acne is one of the most common and widely spread chronic skin disorders affecting millions of people around the globe.
In the United States alone, it affects 17 million people every year.
This article shall discuss the scientifically developed technique of chemical peeling specifically in regard to Jessner’s peel and determine its efficacy in treating and preventing acne breakouts.
Table of Contents
What is Jessner’s Peel?
It is a light treatment which tends to remove the superficial layer of the skin. It can be used on the face, neck, hands and upper back.
It is used for different kinds of skin correction which may include the treatment of mild to severe acne, discoloration, pigmentation and acne scarring among other things.
It is suited for all skin types, though there are certain categories of people who are advised against undergoing this treatment.
A list of these people has been given below:
- People who have severe asthma or cold sores.
- People with lupus.
- People with eczema, rosacea, and psoriasis.
- Women who are pregnant.
How does Jessner’s Peel Treat Acne?
The components of Jessner’s peel combine together to provide excellent exfoliation to the skin.
They tend to remove the upper damaged layer of the skin which induces collagen fibre formation as a normal response of the immune system.
This facilitates speeding up of the recovery and stimulates the formation of new skin cells and a fresh new layer.
This newly formed layer is damage free and fresh. It is also more tight and firm and this is the reason why it used an anti-aging treatment to remove lines and wrinkles.
The acidic content of the three agents also helps in two ways.
Firstly, it helps in maintaining and balancing the pH level of the skin and secondly, its acidic environment also makes it difficult for the microbes to survive thus acting as an antimicrobial.
Cost of the treatment
The cost of undergoing this kind of peeling over the face and neck area usually amounts to 170$.
You may require regular sessions in order to maximize the effects.
Benefits of Jessner’s Peel Treatment
The benefits of using Jessner’s peel combine those of all the three resorcinol, lactic acid, and salicylic acid.
Its benefits as such are enumerated below:
- With all the 3 ingredients, it tends to penetrate deeper into the skin and provide a healthier and better skin texture.
- Salicylic acid is actively present in most acne treating products and tends to direct its action towards it specifically.
- It enhances collagen formations which provide a healthy glow to the skin.
- It is even effective in reducing spots and scars.
- It tends to reduce the inflammation induced redness and pimples.
- Lactic acid helps in improving the texture of the skin in general.
- Salicylic acid tends to go deep into the pores and kill all the bacteria facilitating deep cleansing of the skin.
- It helps in maintaining the pH level of the skin.
- Resorcinol acts as a good disinfectant and tends to kill all the acne-causing bacteria.
- It tends to brighten up your skin.
- This also increases the absorption of lotions and other topical treatments by the skin.
The potential side effect of undergoing the Jessner’s peel has been quite rare but is enumerated below:
- Infection or scarring is a possible side effect if the peeling is removed prematurely.
- If you have a history of cold sores, you might suffer from herpes simplex as a side effect of peeling.
- Hypo or hyperpigmentation might occur especially if you have a darker skin tone.
- It might cause redness or swelling of the treated area.
- It can lead to dryness and scab if proper care is not taken.
- It may make your skin sensitive to sunlight.
Precautions with Jessner’s Peel
In order to ensure the proper effectiveness of Jessner’s peel, you must maintain certain precautions. Some of these precautions have been mentioned below:
- If you are taking Accutane, you must stop its use six months before and after the peeling treatment.
- Do not use retina A before the treatment for at least two to three weeks, it may make your skin sensitive to acids.
- You must not undergo this treatment if you have a history of keloids.
- Do not try it if you are allergic to lactic acid, the salicylic acid of resorcinol.
- Avoid its use if you are pregnant or are breastfeeding.
- If you are a smoker, you must avoid smoking for at least 8 days after the treatment.
- Do not wash or clean your face for at least 48 hours immediately after the treatment.
- Do not apply any makeup on the face for some days after the treatment.
- Avoid exposure to sunlight. If it cannot be avoided completely, then use a sunscreen or protective clothing while going out.
- Using aloe products after the treatment may cause irritation on the skin.
- Do not exfoliate the skin for at least 3 weeks after the treatment.
- Avoid the occurrence of any sweat or perspiration in the treated area.
Customer Review of Jessner’s Peel
We did an analysis of online consumer’s review to determine the efficacy of Jessner’s peel in treating acne and its scarring based on what people who have used it have to say about it.
Here is a summary of what they liked and disliked about the product:
What they liked about the product
Hyperpigmentation: A lot of consumers affirmed that Jessner’s peel has been extremely effective in fading away from the marks of hyperpigmentation and reducing it in numbers.
It has been an added advantage because any kind of treatment mostly leads to pigmentation and this, on the other hand, ends up treating it.
Smooth skin: With its combination of the three acids, many consumers agreed to the fact that it leads to general aggravation in the texture of the skin, making it soft and smooth and adding a nice glowing touch to it.
Its deep penetration into the layers of the skin also helped in enhancing the general health of the skin rather than just limiting it to the surface of the skin.
What they did not like about it
Breakout: Some people complained that undergoing this treatment made them breakout. Such cases, however, were extremely rare and it does not usually happen to a good number of people.
It might have been a result of some allergy but it is usually advised that if you have extremely sensitive skin, you must consult a doctor undergoing this treatment.
Jessner’s peel has been known for its mildness and gentleness in exfoliation.
The combined power of the three- lactic acid, salicylic acid, and resorcinol, helps in fighting acne bacteria and causes of breakouts in three different ways.
It tends to help in improving the very texture of your skin and adds to its health also providing a glow and firmness to the skin.
Also, it is effective in treating both the breakout pimples and the acne induced scar along with hyperpigmentation all at once.
Its side effects are negligible and it is also considered safe to be used on sensitive skin. If you have waited long enough looking for one solution that could solve all these problems a once, this might be it.
Our articles are written by writers with a deep domain understanding of the topic and usually hold Bachelors / Masters degrees. The articles are peer-reviewed before being uploaded on the website. Our writers spend 10s of hours researching and writing articles which are factual and comprehensive. Check out about our team in About Us section.