Acne is one of the most common and widely spread chronic skin disorders affecting millions of people around the globe.
A lot of methods and medications have been introduced with time which ranges from antibiotics to various herbal and home remedies.
This article tends to discuss the effectiveness and mechanism of action of emu oil towards the treatment of acne and acne scars.
Table of Contents
What is Emu oil?
Emu is a flightless bird found in and indigenous to Australia. It is from there that emu oil gets its name.
Emu oil is derived from the adipose tissue/fat of this bird. This oil was approved for health uses by the Food and Drug Authority in 1992.
It is composed of unsaturated fatty acid to a good percentage which is mainly responsible for its health benefits.
Emu oil can be used either topically or orally and is used to heal ailments like flu, cough, obesity and high cholesterol among others.
Because of its anti-inflammatory properties, it is also often used to treat various skin conditions.
How does Emu oil Treat Acne?
Emu oil has been known to affect and correct the problem of acne breakouts in a number of ways.
Firstly, it exhibits anti-inflammatory properties which help in reducing the acne induced inflammation along with cutting down the redness, irritation, and swelling caused as a result.
It is also believed to possess antibacterial properties and help in fighting the acne-causing bacteria. It is considered to be bacteriostatic and does not let bacteria grow.
Secondly, it is a natural trans-dermal oil and can penetrate deep into the layers of the skin affecting improvement not only in the upper layers of the skin nu also deep inside.
Furthermore, it contains natural fatty acid including Omega 3, 6 and 9 which are vital to the health of the skin and provide moisture without being overly sticky and oily.
It is non-comedogenic and therefore does not clog the pores in spite of being oil.
It has the additional advantage of being hypoallergenic which means that it is very suitable for people with extremely sensitive and is probably not going to cause an allergic reaction.
It further has antioxidant properties and is beneficially effective in reducing oxidative stress and preventing the damage to the skin.
Application of Emu oil
It is advised that you clean your hand and face with a medicated soap before application of emu oil.
After this only 1 or 2 drops of emu oil can be taken on to the palm and applied either directly on the spot or on the entire face as a whole.
It should not be rubbed but applied gently. Because of its non-comedogenic nature, it should not seem too oily on an application.
However, if you do think it is only the possibility is that you have applied way too much of the oil.
Benefits and Possible side effects of using emu oil
Emu oil has various health and skin benefits. Some of them are enumerated below:
- It helps in maintaining skin elasticity and does away with scars, wrinkles, and lines
- It is a soothing and effective treatment for burns
- Emu oil is also beneficial for the health of the hair and scalp
- Because of its hypoallergenic properties, it is best suited for the treatment of sensitive skin
- It gets absorbed by the skin deeply and quickly making the surface of the skin oil free
- It keeps the skin hydrated and moisturized
- It facilitates healing of the damaged skin
Possible Side effects:
Emu oil can be used both topically and orally.
It, however, might lead to certain side effects which you must be aware of in order to ensure complete safety. Some of these side effects are enumerated below:
- Though emu oil itself is hypoallergenic, the product as a whole might contain other chemical or herbal component that can often result in skin irritation on the application. It should not, however, be used to treat open wounds
- It should strictly not be orally consumed by pregnant women. There is a risk of passing on the supplement to the fetus which can hamper their development and growth. It is better to avoid emu oil during pregnancy
- The ingredients of emu oil often cause stomach irritation and discomfort
Precautions while using Emu Oil
In order to escape the side effects of emu oil and ensure maximum benefits from its treatment, you must observe the following precautions:
- Do a patch test first to see if the product suits you though because of its hypoallergenic property it is very unlikely that any allergic reaction may occur. In any case, you must always be sure rather than regretting later on
- Before buying emu oil make sure that it does not contain a lot of synthetic preservatives
- Make sure that the oil is not heated at too high heat as it might lead to the formation of trans-fatty acid which is not good for health
- If heated at too high a temperature, emu oil might leave its beneficial/healthy properties
- If the oil has been refined with corrosive material, it might loose its ability to penetrate
- Be sure not to apply very high doses as it may make your skin too oily in touch and appearance. A few drops are enough.
Customer review: Emu oil for Acne
We did an analysis of online consumer reviews to check the effectiveness of emu oil in treating or preventing acne breakouts based on the experience of people who have already used it.
Here is a summary of what they liked and disliked about the treatment:
What they liked about it:
Better skin: A lot of consumers were of the view that emu oil was generally beneficial in improving the skin and its health as a whole.
Many of them noticed tighter and firmer skin while some others; their skin became more soft and supple.
It was also effective in fading the lines and wrinkles from the face and is often used as an anti-aging treatment.
Reduced pigmentation: Many consumers were of the view that emu oil was effective in reducing the hyperpigmentation that had emerged because of acne treatments and was at the same time efficient in doing away with the inflammation induced redness.
Heals scars: Emu oil is effective in not only preventing acne breakouts but also in reducing the blemishes and scars induced by the breakout. This means that the consumers do not have to rely on different products for these two problems.
Moisturizes: Most consumers felt that emu oil had excellent moisturizing properties. In spite of being an oil, it is extremely non- comodgenic and does not clog the pores or cause oiliness when applied but rather moisturizes right up to the very bottom of the skin’s layer
What they did not like about it:
Breakout: Some consumers reported minor breakouts in cases of emu oil application which they thought resulted from the oiliness that it caused.
However, this oiliness is extremely rare and can only be a result of the excessive application. In order to ignore this one must ensure use of only a moderate amount at a time.
Emu oil, native to Australia is now readily available around the world.
Its hypoallergenic, anti-inflammatory, antibacterial and non-comedogenic properties are known to be extremely beneficial for the skin and cause an improvement in the health of the skin in general.
It tends to moisturize your skin properly without causing excessive oiliness.
It is a natural and beneficial solution to your acne problem and definitely is worth one try.
Antra is a seasoned writer and has written for several health and wellness topics especially related to skin problems. When not researching and writing, she loves to travel and explore the world.