Acne is one of the most common chronic skin disorders affecting millions of people around the world.
According to an estimate, approximately 17 million people are affected by it at any one point of time in the United States of America only.
Over time a lot of medications have been developed to prevent if not cure the problem of acne breakouts.
This article will talk about one of the most widely used and traditionally recommended treatments for all skin problems including acne, i.e, Fuller’s earth clay.
Table of Contents
What is Fuller’s Earth Clay?
It has been used traditionally in the Indian Sub-continent as an important ingredient for maintaining the health of the skin.
It is a kind of clay that typically consists of palygorskite or bentonite.
It possesses the capacity of decolorizing liquids which also includes oil. It is made from hydrated aluminum silicates.
It has also been used as a vehicle for fertilizers and pesticides. Its use has also been extended to being fillers in the paint, adhesives, plaster, etc.
It is mostly used in the form of a face pack, either mixed with other substances or applied independently in form of a paste.
How does Fuller's Clay Treat Acne
Fuller’s earth clay exhibits cleansing and exfoliating properties.
It, therefore, works towards clearing the dead skin cells and unclogging the pores.
It will prevent any accumulation of dirt on the surface and its drying effect will devoid the bacteria of the liquid in which it is surviving through the process of osmosis, thereby healing the acne outbursts.
There is also the lime component in this clay which tends to lighten the skin tone and reduce the blemishes and scarring, nourishing the skin from the outside.
The sulfur present tends to flush all the toxins out and is therefore effective in driving out the microbes from the clogged pores.
It can thus be said that the various components present in this clay tends to attack acne breakouts from all side not only causing its preventions but all reducing the blemishes and marks thus caused.
Fuller’s earth clay can be used for the skin in form of face masks. Given below this are various ways in which this mask can be prepared to suit the various skin types:
For all skin types: This requires mixing a half tablespoon of fuller’s earth clay into rose water, honey or milk along with a few drops of jojoba oil.
A thick, uniform and consistent paste should be formed of these ingredients which can be applied on the skin and left for 15 minutes to dry before washing it with plain water.
This can be done twice a week.
For oily skin: For this, you need to take two tablespoons of clay and mix it with turmeric powder and honey and rose water, one tablespoon each.
It should be formed into a consistent and uniform paste and applied either on the affected area or on the entire face.
After leaving this on for 15 minutes to dry up, it can be washed off.
For dry skin: The purpose of this mask is to basically moisturize your skin. Mix one tablespoon of clay with honey and glycerin in equal amounts each.
This can then be applied to the skin in the same manner and will give softness and even tone to the skin.
For combination skin type : Even if you are not aware of the specifics of your skin type, you can mix one tablespoon of Fullers clay with aloe vera gel and apply it on your face for 15 minutes before rinsing off with water.
Specifically to combat acne: This requires mixing one tablespoon of clay to an equal quantity of rose water, 2 small mashed up cucumber and rose water with a few drops of lemon.
This should be formed in a uniform and consistent paste which can be applied on the affected area.
Benefits of using Fullers earth clay
Fuller’s earth clay is a traditionally tried and tested method for dealing with skin problems. Here is a list of benefits that have been attributed to this clay:
- Since it is a natural absorbent, it readily absorbs excess oil from oily skin thereby unclogging the skin pores
- It balances the pH level of the skin
- Because of its lime content, it is effective in removing any kind of scars or marks whether from cuts, wounds or burns
- Being a cleansing agent, it tends to cause an improvement in your skin complexion. Because of this reason, it can also be used to de-tan your body
- Its drying effect can be used to tighten the skin and therefore do away with the wrinkles. Tightening of the skin pores will also cause elimination of the bacteria within
- It is also effective in absorbing dirt and oil from your scalp, therefore, ridding you of dandruff as it also facilitates blood circulation of the scalp
- Since it regulates blood circulation, it is a good solution to your pain as effective blood circulation will lead to a calming effect which might also be beneficial to your muscle and arteries
Possible issues with using Fullers clay
The possibility of any kind of side effect in the usage of Fuller's clay is extremely rare. It might, however, result in the following:
- It might instigate allergic reactions like irritation of the skin and redness in case you are allergic to it.
- It might result in extreme dryness of the skin in which case it is advisable that you use a moisturizer after removing the pack. However, it must be made sure that the moisturizer is not too oily otherwise it will undo the very purpose of the treatment.
Precautions while using Fullers clay
Though the possibility of any adverse impact is very rare in case of Fuller's clay, here are some precautions that you must care to observe before starting off with it:
- It is very important that you do a patch test before using it in order to check for allergies that you might have from any of the ingredients in the face mask
- If you are getting the clay from the market be sure to check if it is pure and not adulterated. Adulterated products might severely hamper your skin.
- It is only to be applied topically and must not in any condition be ingested.
What users of Fuller's clay say about its benefits for acne
We did an online survey of consumers who have been engaged in using Fullers Earth clay. Here is a summary of what they liked and disliked about this treatment:
What they liked about it:
Hyperpigmentation was gone : Consumers were happy with the effect it had on lightening the scars and marks of acne and inflammation. Its use, over time, lightened hyperpigmentation and improvement were also witnessed in the complexion of the skin.
What they did not like about it:
Dryness: The use of Fuller's clay caused extreme dryness on the face of some people. This can probably be attributed to its drying property and its lime component.
However, it is advisable to use some lotion after use if the dryness is very severe.
Fuller’s earth clay is a traditionally tried and tested method for preservation and rejuvenation of healthier skin.
It is also natural and therefore rarely causes any side effects. Its application is simple, not at all time consuming and also in most cases extremely inexpensive.
It is one of the best available options to deal with oily skin and if you still haven’t, you must give it one try.