In the United States alone, acne affects 17 million people every year.
A lot of methods and medications have been introduced with time which ranges from antibiotic to various herbal and home remedies.
This article shall discuss the effectiveness of Dapsone, a topical antibacterial treatment for acne vulgaris.
Please feel free to use the Table of Contents below to jump to the relevant section
What is Dapsone?
Dapsone is a topical antibacterial treatment for acne vulgaris.
It also comes in a tablet form used for the treatment of leprosy. In its topical form, it is used for various skin infections.
It was recently approved by the regulatory authority of Canada and North America for use as a treatment for acne.
How does Dapsone Treat Acne?
In its antibacterial function, it is similar to that of sulfonamides and sulfacetamide.
It tends to slow down or stop the growth of acne-causing P.acne bacteria and cause their destruction which will further lead to unclogging of the blocked skin pores and relieve the skin.
It can be used as a spot treatment and applied to the affected area directly.
You must, however, make sure to keep the area clean before application of this topical gel.
It should be stored at room temperature away from heat and moisture.
It should always, whenever not in use, be kept tightly closed and should be kept away from the reach of children.
Its disposal should be discussed with the pharmacist or doctor concerned.
Under this section we will discuss the use that Dapsone is put to both as an oral and topical medication:
- It is used in the treatment of a kind of skin infection known as dermatitis herpetiformis.
- Dapsone oral is used in the treatment of Hansen’s disease.
- When prescribed, it can be used to treat a certain type of lung infection caused due to HIV/AIIDS.
- It can be used, only when prescribed by a doctor, to treat a kind of lung infection afflicted due to HIV.
- It can be used to treat a type of skin infection due to an immune disorder.
Possible Side effects
The side effects associated with the use of Dapsone has been enumerated below:
- In extremely rare cases, its oral intake has been associated with blood and liver problems that have been fatal.
- It can cause a sore throat and fever.
- The topical application might cause paleness of the skin, bruising or redness.
- It may also cause yellowing of the skin or eyes.
- An allergic reaction can cause swelling, breathing problem and hives.
- It has often been reported to cause muscle weakness or numbness along with a tingling feeling.
- It may cause abdominal pain and breathing difficulty.
- It can make your urine dark or your stool pale.
- Dapsone may also cause nausea, vomiting and blurred vision.
- It may also make the skin sensitive to sunlight.
Precautions while using Dapsone
In order to ensure the complete effectiveness of the treatment and decrease the risk of side effects, you must follow some precautions. Some of these precautions are enumerated below:
- You must inform your doctor if you are allergic to Dapsone and stop its use immediately.
- Inform your doctors about all the medical conditions you have had or you presently have as it might not be safe for use during some conditions.
- Tell your doctor about all prescriptive/ non-prescriptive medications/ drugs and herbal supplements that you are taking.
- Since it may make you dizzy. It is advised that you do not indulge in activities that require your alertness.
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, discuss its use with your doctor before using it.
Possible Drug interaction
Dapsone may interact with medicines that are particularly used for blood and the doctor must be informed about all drugs you are taking before prescribing Dapsone to you.
Customer Reviews of Dapsone
We did an analysis of online consumer reviews to determine the efficacy of Dapsone in reducing the frequency and severity of acne breakouts.
Here is a summary of what people liked and disliked about the treatment based on what they experienced:
What they liked about it
Time effective: Most people were of the view that Dapsone proves to be extremely time effective in its treatment of acne. In some cases, it showed tremendous improvement in just one week while in others it took about three weeks.
Cystic acne: A lot of people were of the view that Dapsone had been effective in treating even cystic acne by going deep down under the layers of the skin rather than restricting the effect to the surface of the skin.
Sensitive skin: It had proved effective in the treatment of even sensitive skin. Unlike most other topical acne treatment, Dapsone is not harsh or rough on the skin. It has been quietly effective even dealing with sensitive skin.
What they did not like about it
Expensive: One thing that a few consumers complained of and which led back some was the expensiveness of the product. One filling usually requires 50$. A lot of people are not willing to spend so much on a product unless they are sure of the results.
Breakouts: Some people complained of breakout on the application of Dapsone. Such cases are however very rare and might even be an initial step before improvement.
Dapsone is a legally approved acne curing agent.
It will attack your acne problems from two sides using its anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties.
It is extremely time efficient and also works on cystic acne and sensitive skin.
Its topical application has extremely fewer side effects and the effect it has on your skin is definitely worth the expense and one try.
Our articles are written by writers with a deep domain understanding of the topic and usually hold Bachelors / Masters degrees. The articles are peer-reviewed before being uploaded on the website. Our writers spend 10s of hours researching and writing articles which are factual and comprehensive. Check out about our team in About Us section.