Fibromyalgia is a condition of chronic centralized body pain. It affects the musculoskeletal system and known as nonarticular pain syndrome.
In 1990 ACR gave classification criteria to clinically diagnose fibromyalgia.
It states the chronic widespread pain in the body on both the sides, upper and lower body parts, minimum 3 months spent in pain in the axial skeleton, 11 or more of 18 specific sites with tenderness. 
Diagnosis and treatment of fibromyalgia are difficult and it is one of the complex diseases whose symptoms can be overlapping for different health conditions. 
Common symptoms include extreme pain, multiple tender points, chronic fatigue, tired and insufficient sleep, headache, body stiffness, dry eyes and irritable bowel syndrome , emotionality, and cognitive impairments.   
The central nervous system plays an important role in pain amplification. 
Treatment includes prescription of antidepressants, painkillers, insomnia pills, muscle relaxants, anti-seizure, and neuroleptic medications.
What are Essential Oils?
Essential oils are natural volatile plant extracts without any chemical modification or intermediate synthesis.
They are steam distilled or pressed from flowers, rinds, leaves, barks, wood, roots and twigs of plants.
The oils are lipophilic highly aromatic compounds with low molecular weight and popularly known as the essence or volatile oil.
Carrier oils are vehicles for essential oils; they increase their effectiveness and balance their high potency and concentration.
Some of the base oils are coconut oil, jojoba oil, sesame oil or grapeseed oil, etc.
Essential oils are constitutes of hydrocarbons such as terpenes, and oxygenated compounds that are aldehydes, esters, alcohols, ketones, phenols, and oxides.
They are used in the perfumery, food and flavoring, pharmaceutical and therapeutic remedies.
Mostly aromatherapists use three routes for administration of oils such as 
- Topical application as massage, lotion, creams.
- Oral ingestion in the form of mouthwashes, gargles, gelatin capsules, honey,
- Aromatherapy includes diffusers, steam inhalation, vaporizer, and nebulizers.
Essential Oils for Fibromyalgia
Medications used for treating symptoms of fibromyalgia are mere mood enhancers, hormone regulators, energizing and sleep-inducing pills.
They will work on uplifting the spirits and relaxing both mind and body.
But the take away is all these properties are biologically ingrained in essential oils.
Yes, essential oils have innumerable health benefits both specific to the disease and generic as in fibromyalgia. The essence will lessen the intensity as well as the frequency of the disease.
So jump on this ride with us and explore the effectiveness of the essential oils in relieving fibromyalgia.
The oils produce analgesic action on the body which relieves pain. They are antidepressant and uplifting.
Eucalyptus oil is a good anti migraine oil and counters them effectively. They are relaxing on nerves and reduce nerve pain through anti-neuralgic characteristics.
Also, they are nervine and aid a relaxing sedative action on them.
These oils provide relief from rheumatism and cramps through anti-rheumatic and antispasmodic effects.
Oils such as bay, fennel are appetite encouragers. They are beneficial aperitif.
They are especially good for reducing tension in nerves and calming them. The calmative action of oils is a nervous relaxant. Cephalic characteristic of basil and peppermint oil helps you to think positively and clearly.
Nutmeg oil is also beneficial to treat fibromyalgia as it exhibits tension-reducing action on the body.
A study done on a mouse model in 2014 showed consumption of 25 mg/ kg sweet basil oil which is rich in linalool content that has significantly reduced pin and increased the Fos protein expression in the central nervous system pain pathway.  
Aniseed, tea tree, and lavender produce cordial action on the heart. Coriander and ylang-ylang are euphoric on the mind and soul.
They balance hormone secretions and regulate their amount in the body. Pine, Cajeput essential oils are primarily hormonal.
They also aid in the easy and relaxed delivery of the child. Bay and jasmine oils are wonderful parturient.
Dry eyes symptoms of fibromyalgia may be treated with Roman chamomile and germanium with their ophthalmic actions.
They provide warmth to the body and source of energy boosters, thus showing their rubefacient and revitalizing strengths and also aid in adrenal cortex flow.
Nervous system signals body pain, essential oils are sedating and calms Central Nervous System.
Best Essential Oils for Fibromyalgia
We have already discussed the prophylactic process an essential oil can provide you with.
Bioactive constituents such as esters and aldehydes present in oils have a calming and relaxing effect on the nervous system while phenols relieve the pain.
They are capable of prevention, cure, and recovery from a condition. Here we bring you best sought essential oils for the treatment of fibromyalgia.
Black Pepper Essential Oil
Black pepper essential oil has a spicy and warming fragrance. The oil is steam distilled from dried fruit.
The oil is rich in Beta-Caryophyllene, Eugenol, and limonene bioactive ingredients.
It helps to resolve the pain in soft tissues, muscles bones, massage of compress with this warm oil can help cure pain.
The oil is beneficial in alleviating exhaustion and mental fatigue.
Best way to Use:
Muscles reviving massage blend: In a dark-colored glass bottle add 15 ml of Arnica Macerated oil, 15 ml of almond oil, 5 drops of Plai essential oil, 3 drops of Black Pepper essential oil, and 2 drops of Lemongrass essential oil. Massage the area until the oil absorbs into the skin. This formulation can be used for up to 3 months.
Muscular aches and pain relief bath blend: Add 5 drops of Plai essential oil and 3 drops of Black Pepper essential oil in the bath with 15 ml of whole milk or base carrier oil. Soak yourself and let your muscles relax.
Soothing compress blend:
- The requirements of the blend are 5 ml Almond oil, Black pepper essential oil 5 drops, Lavender essential oil 5 drops, and Coriander essential oil 2 drops.
- Blend them all. In a bowl of warm water add all the oils, take a washcloth and soak in it. After this squeeze excess of water.
- Wrap the washcloth in a plastic or another towel for insulation. Compress and leave until it cools down. Repeat the process thrice.
Lavender Essential Oil
Lavender essential oil is steam distilled from deep blue flowers. It has a fresh strong and herbal fragrance.
It helps in easing headaches and soothes insomnia. The oil is a powerful pain curing analgesic.
The oil relieves muscular pain, pain within the central nervous system soothes and reduces labor pain and strengthens contractions.
It is a magical antidepressant and useful in altering depression, relieving anger and exhaustion.
It also promotes a feeling of calm and balance. It enhances clarity and inner peace.
Best way to use:
- Massage blend for muscle spasm: The formulation requires 2 drops each of Lavender oil, Marjoram oil, Wintergreen oil, and Basil oil. Apply this to your muscles twice to thrice daily. 
- Headache relief formula: Take 1 drop of each Peppermint oil, Lavender oil, and Rosemary oil. Apply this to your crown, forehead, and behind the ears. You can use this for relief up to 6 times daily.
- Children’s headache formula has 5 drops each of Lavender oil, German Chamomile oil, and basil oil. You need only 1 – 2 drops of this concoction mixed in a carrier oil and applied to the temples, forehead, and back of the neck thrice daily. For the amount of carrier oil age-wise that has 20 drops for age 1 – 5 years, 10 drops for age 6 – 11 years and lastly 5 drops for 12 – 17 years.
Frankincense Essential Oil
Frankincense essential oil is extracted from the resin of the plant. It is steam distilled and has a warm and fresh aroma.
It relieves stress, anxiety, and depression. The oil is analgesic and has sedative action on the body.
The oil elevates the mood and promotes calm.
Best way to use:
- Topical application blend: In this blend add 2 drops each of Frankincense oil, Vetiver oil, Sandalwood oil, and Cedarwood oil. Apply the blend to the base of the skull, behind the ears, top of the head.  Application can be 2-4 times every day.
- Broad-spectrum soothes massage blend : Mix 30 ml carrier oil, 4 drops of lavender and sweet orange oil, 1 drop each of frankincense and Neroli oil.
Add all this in a dark-colored glass bottle and stir to combine. Using fingertips apply gently this blend into aching areas until oil is absorbed. Use it once a day.
Ginger Essential Oil
Ginger essential oil belongs to the Zingiberaceae family. The oil has an earthy, woody sweet scent. It is extracted from the rhizomes of the plant by steam distillation method.
The main bioactive constituents are geranial and zingiberene. It is effective in reducing mental fatigue.
The warming action of ginger increases circulation boosts energy, soothes sore and aching muscles.
A rat model research study has shown that bioactive ingredients such as beta-pinene, terpinolene, alpha- phellandrene and alpha copaene present in ginger are beneficial in inhibiting 5-HT3 receptor channel system and reduces spasms. 
It is helpful to cure nausea, vomiting, irritable bowel syndrome, and fibromyalgia.
The oil has beneficial effects in relieving exhaustion and tiredness.
Best way to use:
- Muscle pain cure compress blend: You need 5 ml of almond oil, 7 drops of Ginger essential oil, 4 drops of Lavender essential oil, and 4 drops of Rosemary essential oil
- Fill a bowl with warm water. All the essential oil and almond oil to it.
- Take a washcloth, soak and then remove it from there and squeeze out excess of water.
- For insulation of washcloth, wrap it in a towel or a plastic wrap. On the affected area put this compress and leave it there until it cools down to the level of body temperature.
- Repeat this process thrice times for the speedy recovery.
Muscle relaxer massage blend: For this amazing blend you must have 30 ml of Arnica macerated oil, 5 drops each of Rosemary, Marjoram and Ginger essential oil.
- Combine all the ingredients. Put it in a glass bottle.
- Now massage by taking appropriate amounts to your back and neck till the oil is absorbed in the skin.
- Keep the stored in a dry cool place and use within 3 months.
Lemongrass Essential oil
Lemongrass essential oil has a strong nature. The oil is steam distilled from the grass. It has a fresh lemon-like earthy fragrance.
The oil has a humongous amount of Geranial as its constituent. The pain relief action by central and peripheral receptors have myrcene as its active ingredient. 
Lemongrass oil is a wonderful oil for overcoming body stress, fatigue and tiredness.
Best way to use:
- Fatigue Alleviating Inhaler: In your palm put 2-3 drops each of Lemongrass oil, Rosemary oil, Peppermint oil and rub this together. Now by cupping your nose, mouth takes deep inhalations.
- Massage blend: Using 2-3 drops of Lemongrass oil, Rosemary oil, Peppermint oil, you can also apply them to the temples, behind ears and over the sternum (breastbone in the center of the chest).
Marjoram Essential Oil
Marjoram essential oil is steam distilled from the dried flowering herb. It has an amber tinge with a spicy woody aroma.
It is great for headaches and migraines and relieves stress, anxiety and nervous tension.
The oil is anti-inflammatory, antispasmodic, nervine, and sedative and also calms the body.
Best way to use:
- Blend for fatigue: take 3 -5 drops of each of Oregano oil, Thyme oil, Basil oil, Cypress oil, Wintergreen oil, Marjoram oil, and Peppermint oil. Maintain this order and apply one of the oil at a time to the spine and massaged into the back on either side of the spine. This technique can be applied once a week.
- Topical Muscle Pain Soother: Make a blend of 3 drops each of Marjoram oil, Pine oil, Copaiba oil, Balsam Fir oil. Now apply this blend to sore and tender muscles twice to thrice every day. 
- Irritable bowel syndrome relief blend: 
- Take 10 drops of Chamomile essential oil, 10 drops of Marjoram essential oil, and 2 drops of Peppermint essential oil in ¼ cup of cold-pressed castor oil (reduces pain and inflammation) and blend all together.
- Apply this blend on to your lower abdomen, cover with a clean soft cloth and plastic wrap. Place a hot water bottle above and leave for 30- 60 minutes.
- Please use this blend not more than 3 days in a week.
Rosemary Essential Oil
Rosemary essential oil is strongly intensified oil. It has an herbaceous, balsamic and slightly woody aroma. The oil is extracted from flowers and leaves. It is steam distilled.
The oil has more than 50% of 1, 8 cineole, others include camphor, linalool, etc.
The oil can treat fatigue and exhaustion very well. It is mentally stimulating and relieving. The oil alleviated any burnout and induces energy.
The oil is great analgesic and helps in relieving pain in the body
Its most accounted use is boosting mental activity and helping in good memory. It promotes confidence in the person.
Best way to use:
Adrenal fatigue formula:
- You require Rosemary essential oil 5 drops, pine essential oil 5 drops, Geranium essential oil 2 drops, Blue spruce essential oil 2 drops, Balsam Fir essential oil 2 drops, and Clove essential oil 2 drops.
- The unique thing about this massage is that you need to apply one of the oil at a time to the adrenal area about midway on the back.
- Use feather strokes to gently move up the spine with the back of your fingers and after the application of all the oils.
- Now taking 20 drops of carrier oil massage the entire back for maximum benefits take a warm washcloth and leave it on your back until it cools down.
- The process can be repeated thrice daily for a speedy recovery.
Analgesic relief massage:
- For this massage blend, you need Arnica base oil 15 ml, Almond base oil 15 ml, Marjoram essential oil 5 drops, Rosemary essential oil 5 drops, Thyme essential oil 5 drops.
- Combine all the oils in a dark-colored glass bottle and seal with a dropper.
- For use just take enough amount and gently massage over the area in pain until the oil is absorbed properly.
- For storage, keep the blend in a cool, dark place, and use within 3 months of the formulation.
Peppermint Essential Oil
Peppermint essential oil is minty cool and invigorating oil. It is extracted from leaves by the method of steam distillation.
It stimulates freshness and alertness in person. The oil has revitalizing action on the body. It has a cooling action due to the presence of 76.7% menthol.
It alleviates tiredness, lethargic and uplifts physically and mentally. The oil soothes aches and pain, it also eases tension and headaches and great for fibromyalgia. 
The oil has muscle calming antispasmodic properties thus are an effective remedy for irritable bowel syndrome.
It is a great oil to relieve from mental exhaustion and physical tiredness. It is an analgesic and an effective nervous system nourishing agent.
Best way to use:
- Take only 2 drops of Peppermint oil in one of your palm, rub nicely together with other palm, cup over your nose and mouth. The technique is to take deep inhales as much as you can in a day. 
Headache Cure Massage: Take 1-2 drops of following essential oils, peppermint, lavender, and copaiba. Massage gently on the temples, forehead, back of the neck as often as needed.
Fibro symptoms relief blend: 
- In a dark-colored glass bottle add 30 ml of grape seed oil, to it mix 3 drops Rosemary oil, 3 drops Lavender oil, 3 Ylang Ylang drops oil, and 2 drops Peppermint oil.
- Compress: In 250 ml of water (can be a hot or cold treatment depending upon your requirements) add 8 drops of the above blend. Wet a cloth and put on the joint till it cools down
- Massage a small amount of blend on your paining area, fill the tub with warm water and relax 15- 20 minutes till aching subsides.
- Massage with oil to cure pain and fatigue. It is highly recommended to massage on the bottom of your feet.
Irritable bowel syndrome relief blend: just mix 2-3 drops of peppermint oil in 15 ml of grape seed oil and massage on to the abdomen. 
Myrrh Essential Oil
Myrrh essential oil is steam distilled from the resin of the small shrub-like tree. It has a balsamic sweet warm and rich undertone. The oil gives an amber tinge.
It is good for curing body aches and pain. It reduces stress. It has sedative properties as well as a digestive stimulant.
Best way to use
This technique requires you to have a capsule filled with 2 drops each of Myrrh oil, Lemongrass oil, Nutmeg oil, Frankincense oil, and German Chamomile oil.
Consume the capsule twice daily for therapeutic effects.
Precautions While Using Essential Oils
Every new oil before therapeutic uses must undergo a patch test. So just dab oil in your inner arm to test for sensitivity.
Less is more, these oils are highly concentrated, the lesser drops the higher advantages.
Use of oils should be avoided in pregnancy phase, for children under age five, or people with sensitive skin.
Essential oils are photosensitive, so after application avoid sunlight for a minimum of 4-6 hours.
Avoid the use of oils near the mucous membrane, genitals, or inner rear. The contact lenses or eyes must not be rubbed or handled with essential oils. If the oil gets into eyes, quickly irrigate eyes with whole milk or vegetable oil.
The oils are flammable; store them away from fire sources.
Store the oils in tightly capped bottles due to their volatile nature. Ensuring proper storage will maintain potency for years.
Fibromyalgia is a cluster of conditions all clubbed in one, not the disease condition but the symptoms are draining physically and also mentally taxing.
Tiredness and fatigue become a chronic problem and your sleep gets disturbed which may lead to headaches and bowel syndrome.
So it’s a vicious cycle, but no worries, essential oils are magical herbs made from leaf, stem or fruit extraction and have amazing properties to combat these symptoms.
In case you are stuck in this detrimental condition, just pick your favorite oil and blend and go ahead all warmed and rejuvenated.
Our articles are written by writers with a deep domain understanding of the topic and usually hold Bachelors / Masters degrees. The articles are peer-reviewed before being uploaded on the website. Our writers spend 10s of hours researching and writing articles which are factual and comprehensive. Check out about our team in About Us section.