Dry hair is a problem that affects many of us.
Common causes could be because our hair allows moisture to escape or because our scalp does not produce sufficient oil to moisturize hair.
Oil is essential to moisturize hair. Sometimes, due to the age when sufficient oil is not produced, our scalp and hair become dry.
Dry scalp flakes off and causes dandruff.
Healthy hair is protected by the cuticle which prevents damage due to heat. The healthy cuticle retains moisture and prevents dryness.
When the cuticle gets damaged, it can peel away and separate from our hair.
The hair does not retain moisture and oil escapes leading to dry hair. Apart from age, other causes of dry hair could be:
- Overuse of curling irons or hair straighteners
- Excessive use of harsh shampoos that can damage hair by removing natural oils
- Frequently blow drying hair after using chemical styling products
- Frequent use of hair dyes, relaxers, chemical treatment, and styling – like perms
- Overexposure to sun or wind
- Anorexia nervosa
- Hypothyroidism or hypoparathyroidism
- Menkes kinky hair syndrome
There are sufficient home remedies to treat dry hair, unless it is a medical condition. If you consult a doctor, they will first determine the cause and then recommend remedial measures.
Some home care measures include using mild shampoos, shampooing less frequently, use the right hair conditioners and avoid excessive treatment and styling hair.
Table of Contents
Aloe Vera For Dry Hair
Aloe vera is a perennial plant that grows well in tropical and subtropical regions.
Aloe vera gel has been used topically for centuries to treat minor cuts, burns, and wounds.
It has also been used in cosmetics, skin creams and hair products. Aloe vera has been used as an herbal remedy and as a beauty aid.
It is popular for its moisturizing benefits and has been used in various hair products especially to treat dry hair and hair growth problems.
Using natural ingredients like aloe vera gel is a good way to treat damaged or dry hair. It can restore sheen and volume to the hair.
Aloe vera has a good combination of amino acids, vitamins, and minerals that can improve dry hair and dandruff.
Try and replace your traditional hair conditioner with aloe vera gel and you will soon see the difference.
There are various aloe vera hair products that can help. Aloe vera is a natural way to prevent hair loss.
By promoting hair growth, it could help with conditions like alopecia. Aloe vera shampoos offer natural nourishment for the hair.
Aloe vera gel combines well with essential oils, plant and herbal extracts to make excellent revitalizing shampoos.
Aloe vera contains enzymes that improve blood circulation and stimulate the scalp. This can eliminate dry hair and scalp conditions like dandruff.
It even helps to maintain the right balance of hair oils to avoid dryness or excessive oiliness.
Aloe vera conditioners can reduce dryness and frizz. It maintains hair sheen and prevents excessive grease buildup. It can even protect against damage caused by styling products.
It is also suggested that mixing aloe vera gel with powdered hair dyes could reduce the damage these dyes cause on the hair. This is a good option for those who frequently change hair colors.
Dandruff is another common condition caused by a dry scalp. Massage aloe vera gel into your hair and leave it overnight. Wash it off in the morning. This can be repeated until dandruff is eliminated.
Aloe Vera Home Remedy for Dry Hair
Anyone with dry hair can follow these steps to combat it.
- Wash your hair with a sulfate-free shampoo. Sulfates are harsh on hair and contribute to dryness.
- Apply aloe vera gel directly on the scalp, massaging gently and leave it for 10 minutes. Rinse it out thoroughly.
- Apply a deep hair conditioner, cover the hair with a plastic shower cap and leave it for 20 minutes and then rinse.
- Apply a leave-in moisturizing conditioner on your entire hair
- Apply a moisturizing natural scalp oil like jojoba
- Finally, you can apply some natural hair oils or butters like avocado, macadamia or shea butter to complete the moisturizing process and seal in the natural ingredients you have used.
Combinations like a warm oil massage for the hair, followed by an application of aloe vera gel and then washing it or an aloe vera and egg shampoo can also combat dry hair.
Hairstyling, using hot irons, blow drying can all cause dry hair. Here are some aloe vera recipes for the hair which could prevent dryness.
- Combine ¼ cup each aloe vera and coconut oil, microwave until the oil melts and combine this in a food processor. Apply to washed hair and leave for 15 minutes before washing. This is an excellent conditioner that prevents dry hair caused by heat styling.
- A hair spray can be made by combining ½ cup each aloe vera and distilled water. Pour into a spray bottle and spray on when needed to prevent dry, frizzy hair.
- Hair dryers and hair irons also cause dry hair. For this combine ½ cup each aloe vera and distilled water with 2 tsp grapeseed oil in a blender. Apply this you the ends of the hair before using the iron or dryer.
Aloe Vera Products For Dry Hair
Online shopping sites like Amazon.com have several aloe vera products for the hair such as:
- ‘Aloe Vera Moisturizing Conditioner from Nature’s Gate for Normal to Dry hair’
- ‘Herstyler Hair Serum’ which combines aloe vera and vitamin E
Topical use of aloe vera does not generally cause any side effects.
Anyone with known allergies to plants of the Lilaceae family like onions, tulips and garlic must avoid aloe vera products for prolonged use could cause hives, skin eruptions or dermatitis.
Our articles are written by writers with a deep domain understanding of the topic and usually hold Bachelors / Masters degrees. The articles are peer-reviewed before being uploaded on the website. Our writers spend 10s of hours researching and writing articles which are factual and comprehensive. Check out about our team in About Us section.