Wheatgrass juice is a powerful, raw food that is got from the wheat plant. The grass of this plant has to be juiced when it is young and rich in chlorophyll.
This dark, green liquid is very strong to taste but full of nutrients.
Some nutritionists believe that 1 fluid ounce of wheatgrass juice can provide the equivalent health benefits of 2 ½ lbs of fresh vegetables.
It is also rich in amino acids, contains 92 minerals, enzymes, and vitamins.
You can either get fresh wheatgrass or grow wheatgrass at home and juice it or by any one of many wheatgrass beverages or instant juice powders available in the market.
Make sure you drink only the required quantity since consuming too much can cause diarrhea and nausea.
Freshly grown and cut wheatgrass must be consumed immediately for otherwise, the potency reduces very quickly. Homegrown wheatgrass also has mold issues that field grown grass does not.
Table of Contents
- How to Juice Wheatgrass
- Delicious Wheatgrass Juice Recipes
- Preserving wheatgrass and wheatgrass juice
- Benefits of Wheatgrass Juice
- The Best Form of the Juice
How to Juice Wheatgrass
When wheatgrass is ready to harvest (4-6 inches in height), the stalks are cut with sharp scissors above the roots.
If you decide to drink fresh wheatgrass juice, then cut the plant just before juicing.
Producers of commercial wheatgrass juice use special extractors that resemble meat grinders. These are used to crush and grind wheatgrass and extract the juice.
After this, the juice is bottled or flash-frozen.
If you prepare wheatgrass juice at home you can use a regular blender or a special wheatgrass juicer.
If you are using a blender, pulverize the grass for at least one minute. Then strain using a fine cloth or filter.
Delicious Wheatgrass Juice Recipes
Many people are afraid of consuming wheatgrass juice because of the very powerful grassy taste.
Apart from mixing with just water, you can create your own recipes to mask the powerful taste.
- If you are just adding water, add more to mask the taste of the juice
- Stevia (sweet herb) and agave (sweet plant syrup) are both natural sweeteners that do not contain glucose or fructose. You can use either, depending on your preference and make a delicious, tasty drink.
- Any citrus juice has a strong flavor and adding some like orange juice to wheatgrass juice can make a delicious drink.
- Fruit smoothies are excellent ways to consume wheatgrass juice.
Here are some other recipes to make wheatgrass juices.
For this, you can blend ½ a banana, 1 cup frozen berries or mangoes, 1 cup water and around 2 fluid ounces of wheatgrass juice together.
Add water according to the thickness you desire. Drink this smoothie fresh and cold.
Easy juice using a blender
Take ½ cup of freshly cut wheatgrass (bought or homegrown). Add 2-3 cups of water and blend at high speed in a fruit or vegetable blender for at least one minute.
The pulp will float to the top. Strain this juice and add some fresh lemon juice. Lemon gives a fresh, tangy flavor to the juice.
Drink this economical and no-fuss juice immediately to enjoy the best benefits.
You can make this juice using 2 ounces of organic wheatgrass juice and 6 ounces lemonade.
Blend 1 ounce organic wheatgrass juice and 6 ounces of carrot juice. Drink this immediately.
Savory juice (green juice)
This variant includes 2 oz fresh wheatgrass, 3 stalks of celery, 2 medium-sized cucumbers, fresh parsley (1/2 cup) and a few fresh spinach leaves (about 5 will do). Cut all the vegetables into small bits.
Place in juicer, add required amount of water and blend well.
Fruit Cocktail (Sweet Grass Special)
This recipe requires 1 large orange, 2 red apples, and pinch of ground cinnamon powder, 1 oz fresh wheatgrass and 1 tsp organic honey.
Once the fruits are blended well, combine the other ingredients in a pitcher. Sprinkle some cinnamon powder on top and enjoy this refreshing cocktail.
Preserving wheatgrass and wheatgrass juice
How to Preserve Wheatgrass
Those who wish to preserve wheatgrass without juicing it can also do so.
After harvesting the grass or purchasing fresh wheatgrass, pat off dirt and soil and brush with a soft clean cloth.
Place the grass in airtight containers or re-sealable plastic bags and place it in the refrigerator.
This can be kept for seven days. Take out the required quantity, juice it and consume it immediately.
How to Preserve Wheatgrass Juice
Not everyone has the time to make fresh wheatgrass everyday. Some may like to preserve it. This is where the problem lies for wheatgrass juice loses its potency quickly.
So, if it must be preserved for longer than 24 hours, then freeze it by pouring into ice trays. Place the trays in re-sealable plastic bags and place in the fridge.
The valuable nutrients get preserved this way since less oxygen penetrates the juice. After freezing it for four hours, you can use the cubes. 2 cubes are sufficient for each serving.
Precautions when Juicing or Buying Wheatgrass
Mold and bacteria are the main concerns when consuming fresh wheatgrass juice. When wheatgrass is grown indoors, mold forms since there is not much air flow.
You can get a harmless or harmful mold that can make you sick. Washing wheatgrass well will rid the grass of harmless mold.
Similarly, un-pasteurized wheatgrass juice can harbor bacteria. To avoid this, you can buy pasteurized wheatgrass.
When you buy wheatgrass, make sure it is organic and grown outdoors. Organic wheatgrass will be free from chemicals, fertilizers, and pesticides.
Wheatgrass grown outdoors will be relatively free of mold since there is plenty of sunshine and free airflow.
Benefits of Wheatgrass Juice
The benefits of wheatgrass juice are easily assimilated by humans. By consuming high-quality wheatgrass juice, you can enjoy the following health benefits:
- Sense of physical and mental well-being
- Improved energy levels
- Better sleep patterns
- Detoxification of the body
- Reduction of inflammatory conditions
- Promotes weight loss since it reduces cravings for food
- Improved mental clarity
- Steady nerves
- Better eyesight
- Improved night vision
Other benefits that you can enjoy by consuming wheatgrass juice daily are:
- Gargling with wheatgrass juice can remove toxins from teeth and gums
- Symptoms of nausea can be alleviated by drinking wheatgrass juice. Since it helps cleanse the body, drain toxins from lymph nodes and breaks up mucus found in the body, anyone who suffers from nausea can benefit.
- Hypertension can be reduced by drinking wheatgrass juice since RBC count increases. This, therefore, reduces the risk of contracting cardiac diseases.
- 100ml of wheatgrass juice drunk every day for a month can benefit patients with ulcerative colitis, by reducing rectal bleeding, bowel movements, and inflammatory conditions
- A similar quantity of juice can improve RBC count in the body. This improves anemic conditions and increases blood supply to vital organs and body tissues. Anemic patients feel more energetic. This effect is due to the high chlorophyll content in wheatgrass juice, similar to hemoglobin.
- Beta-thalassemia patients who require blood transfusion can benefit by drinking 100ml wheatgrass juice daily. Their requirement for blood transfusion reduces by 50%.
- Other infections like colds, bronchitis, coughs, throat and mouth infections and diarrhea can improve by consuming wheatgrass juice.
- Wheatgrass juice is also said to help in treating and preventing different cancers – especially colon and breast cancer and AIDS. Patients undergoing chemotherapy can be given wheatgrass juice to treat myelotoxicity that causes inhibition of bone marrow activity.
- Wheatgrass juice reduces LDL (bad) cholesterol.
The Best Form of the Juice
Flash frozen wheatgrass juice is said to be more potent for it captures the raw power of the grass and maintains its freshness and nutritive qualities for longer periods.
Flash freezing is also approved by the USDA. Powders and tablets are also not as potent as wheatgrass juice for the heat used to treat the raw material will destroy sensitive organics.
Even freshly cut and juiced wheatgrass will degrade quickly unless consumed immediately.
It is best not to refrigerate and consume wheatgrass juice for it can begin to spoil at once.
The best way to enjoy the maximum health benefits from wheatgrass juice is to consume it fresh.
Buy or harvest only what is required, juice it and drink immediately, observing all the required precautions.
However, for those who do not have the time, there are very good reputable wheatgrass juice brands available.
Some people who develop nausea due to the strong flavor of the juice can blend wheatgrass with fresh fruits and vegetables.
Those who have celiac disease, wheat allergies, grass allergies or are pregnant and nursing must avoid consuming wheatgrass juice.
If you have a gluten intolerance, check the product label to see if it is gluten-free.
Our articles are written by writers with a deep domain understanding of the topic and usually hold Bachelors / Masters degrees. The articles are peer-reviewed before being uploaded on the website. Our writers spend 10s of hours researching and writing articles which are factual and comprehensive. Check out about our team in About Us section.