Acne is one of the most common chronic skin disorder affecting millions of people across the globe.
It is characterized by the outbreak of pimples, whiteheads, blackheads and inflammations along with redness and marks on the skin.
Various chemical and technology based methods have also come up when it comes to treating acne and its scars.
This article shall discuss the effectiveness of one such modern treatment, micro dermabrassion. It is a kind of mechanical exfoliation helpful in treating both acne and acne scars.
Please feel free to use the Table of Contents below to jump to relevant section
Table of Contents
What is Micro Dermabrassion?
Micro dermabrassion is a process of mechanical exfoliation.
It usually involves the removal of the top damaged layer of the skin with the help of exfoliation in order to promote the growth of the new skin cells and new skin layer which is damage free and fresh.
The removal of the skin layer is usually limited till the epidermis.
The process involves the use of an abrasive material like crystals or diamond flake to remove the upper layer of the skin which is followed by the vacuum or suction to uplift the dead skin cells thus removed.
It is a non invasive process and requires no needle and anesthesia as the pain is also considerably insignificant.
The mechanism of action which it follows is that the removal of damaged cells induces collagen fiber formation as a way of natural response of the immunity system.
This collagen formation facilitates the growth of new skin cells which is therefore undamaged and rejuvenated. The damage therefore stimulates growth as a natural process of recovery.
The downtime of micro dermabrassion is extremely less and it mostly does not require hospitalization of the person concerned.
In fact, while earlier this process was carried out only in the clinics of registered dermatologists and practitioners, now there are home kits available to carry out the treatment with proper instructions given within.
The time that the treatment itself takes depends on a lot of factors which include the size of the area to be treated and sensitivity of your skin among others.
Depending on these it can take any amount of time ranging from 5 minutes to 60 minutes.
It must be noted that micro dermabrassion is an improvement on dermabrassion and thus does not involve the use of needle or anesthesia or bleeding and had considerably fewer side effects.
How does Micro dermabrassion treat acne?
It involves spraying tiny crystals on the skin which helps in removing the dead skin cells from up to the epidermis of the skin.
This exfoliation stimulates a natural response of the immunity of your body which signals towards collagen formation.
This collagen fiber helps in the build up of new skin cells and a new rejuvenated layer of the skin which is undamaged and fresh. This makes the skin more tight and firm.
As the dead skin cells are removed, the clogged pores are cleared which facilitates other kinds of medications and treatments to penetrate even deeper into the layers of the skin and have a better impact. The vacuum used in the process further facilitates blood circulation.
Suited candidate for the treatment
Micro dermabrassion is best suited to treat mild acne and superficial acne scars.
It is usually not done to children under the age of 12 years and old people, more than 70 years of age are not advised to undergo the treatment because their skin have higher risks of abrasion and bruising.
Cost of the treatment
The standard cost of micro dermabrassion has been estimated to be around 100$ per session.
It, however, ranges between 100$ to 250$ depending on the severity of the condition as well as the area being treated. The cost can also differ from dermatologists to dermatologists.
Benefits of Micro dermabrassion
Because of the advanced technology, the method of micro dermabrassion procures lesser side effects and more benefits. Some of these benefits are enumerated below:
- The machine is adjustable and can be adjusted according to the need and skin types of people. It therefore is possible for even sensitive skinned people to undergo the treatment while other treatments are not a viable option for people with sensitive skin.
- It is not a time taking treatment. It usually takes 30 minutes on an average and it requires virtually no down time. The person concerned can get back to his normal life routine within no time of the treatment. It also does not require any hospitalization.
- Its cost is relatively less when compared to other forms of laser treatments and chemical peels.
Possible Side effects
Though the new technology has considerably reduced the risks or side effects associated with such forms of treatments, there is nonetheless some side effects that you must be aware of. Some of them are enumerated below:
- If the machine is not handled properly, it can lead to skin injuries.
- If there is a lack of proper sterilization of the machine, it can lead to infections.
- Though the cases have been rare, it might cause hyper pigmentation.
- Orally in taking the crystals that are used in the abrasion can lead to respiratory problems. Though there is extremely negligible possibility of anyone ingesting it, even if by mistake.
- If by any chance the crystals get into the eye, it might cause eye problems.
- Micro dermabrassion can lead to increase the skin’s sensitivity to light.
- In some extreme cases it can also cause post inflammatory hyper pigmentation.
- Though there is an extremely less possibility it may lead to broken blood vessels.
In order to prevent the risks of side effects as well as to ensure proper care of the skin under treatment and ensure maximum effectiveness of the treatment, you need to observe some precautions. These precautions have been enumerated as below:
- Do not undergo the treatment if you have extremely sensitive skin.
- Do not undergo the treatment in case you are suffering from any of the following mentioned health conditions: diabetes, rosacea, skin inflammation, lack of tactile sensation, bacterial infection, cuts and wounds, keloid scarring.
- Do not undergo this treatment if you have had botox within 72 hours.
- It makes your skin sensitive to the sun and therefore it is advised that you avoid exposure after the treatment. In case it is not possible to avoid exposure, wear a sun screen or protective cloth before going out in the day.
- Do not use exfoliation creams of topical medicines or retin A on the area to be treated, 72 hours before and after the treatment.
- You must not have had accutane recently, only then can you undergo the treatment.
- If you have has chemical peeling recently, you must wait for at least 3 weeks before undergoing micro dermabrassion.
- The area to be treated should not be waxed prior to the treatment.
- After the treatment, the treated area of the skin should be kept properly moisturized and clean.
- You must make sure that no harsh products are being used on the treated area after the treatment.
- The treated area should not be scratched.
- You must refrain from using any topical acne treatment on the area being treated for at least 2 days. These medications may include glycolic acid, benzoyl peroxide among others.
Customer Reviews of Micro dermabrassion
We did an analysis of online consumer review to determine the effectiveness of micro dermabrassion based on what the consumers have experienced.
Here is a summary of what they liked and disliked about the treatment:
What they liked about it
Fading scar: A lot of consumers were extremely satisfied with its action on scars. Most of them reported a 90% improvement on scars while one said that 100% of his scars were removed from his face in just 6 to 7 sessions. Micro dermabrassion as such has been extremely impact full in dealing with acne scars.
Skin texture: Many consumers were of the view that it lead to improvement in the texture of their skin as a whole. Not only did it heal the breakouts and the resultant scars but also at the same time made their skin tight, firm, soft and supple. Their faces had a glow to their skin which was not present before the treatment.
What they did not like about it
Breakouts: Though extremely few, some customers reported cases of mild breakouts after their treatment was over. Such cases are extremely rare and not very likely to happen to you.
Sensitive skin: A few people experienced irritation and redness after the treatment. It has been said that this mostly happened to people with sensitive skin and it is generally advised that people with sensitive skin consult a doctor properly before opting for it.
Regular sessions: One thing that disturbed some consumers was that this treatment required going to the doctor’s clinic several times. It was extremely hectic. The good news however is that now home made micro dermabrassion kits are available which is very convenient.
Micro dermabrassion is a relatively new technology that tends to save time, effort and reduce risks of side effects when it comes to treating your acne breakouts.
It will not only reduce the frequency and severity of the breakout but will rejuvenate your skin to give it a new glow, altogether.
It is relatively inexpensive and with fewer side effects than other laser treatment.
There is no downtime which means that you can resume your normal activities within no time. If nothing is working for you, this might just be a good solution and is definitely worth trying.