Acne is one of the most common chronic skin disorder affecting millions of people across the globe.
With time, various means and methods have been developed to deal with acne.
One of these methods is known as skin needling. It only fastens the formation of collagen for tighter and more firm skin, in less time.
Please feel free to use the Table of Contents below to jump to the relevant section
What is Skin Needling?
This method was first introduced by Dr. Andre Camiranand in 1990s. It is also known by other names like derma rolling and collagen induction therapy.
It is basically targeted towards speeding up the healing process.
This involves using a skin roller that has approximately 200 surgical needles in it and moving it on the affected area in criss-cross motion.
The damage caused by the puncture tends to cause increased stimulation of collagen and elastin production.
The puncturing also tends to break down the damaged cells/tissues which induce the formation of new skin cells through the natural healing process.
The needle’s target is usually restricted to the upper dermis, also otherwise known as the intermediate reticular dermis.
A visible result is mostly seen only after 3 to 6 rounds of treatment.
It is usually not as effective as the laser treatment and can affect only a 30% improvement as compared to 60% with the laser after the first round.
How does Skin Needling help treat Acne Scars
The needles used in the process of skin needling tend to cause micro wounds. This wound triggers the immunity of the body to fight the attack by forming new skin cells and stimulating collagen to repair the damage.
This growth of new skin cells results in younger and tighter skin. The collagen, on the other hand, leads to the shedding of damaged skin.
Though it is usually advised to carry it out under the supervision of a dermatologist, some people also use these rollers at home.
This treatment, however, does not require hospitalization.
Also, it is known to be less effective than laser treatments as the latter tends to denature collagen in a controlled manner to affect greater improvement.
Cost of Skin Needling Treatment
The cost of this treatment may range anywhere from 150$ to 500$ per session.
It usually requires 1 to 2 rounds to see the difference and since skin’s collagen remodeling process is slow, it might take quite a few months to notice visible changes. Burn scars can take up to one whole year to show any improvement.
It is very important that you take proper care of your skin after every round of the treatment. Some important points to note after the treatment are as follows:
- It is advisable to use sun protection after the treatment as your skin becomes sensitive to such exposures and might cause burning or irritation.
- After the needling procedure, you must use a cleanser to wash your face before going to bed each day. Light make up can be applied.
- If extremely necessary, emollients and antiseptic creams can be applied.
Benefits of using skin needling treatment
The benefits that have been attributed to this treatment are as follows:
- It is safe for use on dark and ethnic skin as it reduces hyperpigmentation.
- It is very suitable for sensitive skin on which laser treatment might do severe damage.
- It is a cost-effective method and can be performed on areas where laser treatment cannot be done.
- It is largely safe as the epidermis is not damaged and remains intact. It also, therefore, makes the recovery period brief and mild.
- Treatment on the affected area does in no way harm the unaffected area and the skin quickly emerges as a whole so that it is difficult to distinguish between the two.
- It is not associated with any kind of morbidity and does not hamper the physical activity of the person because it does not require hospitalization.
- Post-operative wound infection is rare as the micro holes in the skin close down quickly.
Issues with using the needle treatment
The side effects of laser treatment are quite few and indeed rare. It also differs according to the needle being used. Some of them are enlisted below:
- Deep invasion into the skin and resultant inflammation can cause bleeding.
- Skin infection with bacteria and herpes simplex virus.
- It can cause Milia, which can nonetheless be easily removed.
- It might cause mild acne breakouts.
- Oozing and swelling of the treated area.
The precautions mentioned below must strictly be observed to avoid any severe adverse impact and ensure effective treatment:
- The needle used should be of good quality. If it is not of good quality, it might break in the skin and cause further damage.
- For effective and efficient results, two more procedures require compilation with this one. These include subcision, which uses needles to cut fibrous bands between fat lobules, and punch elevation.
- Application of local anesthesia might reduce pain and ensure proper treatment.
- There must be maintained an interval of 4 to 6 weeks between 2 rounds of treatments.
Customer Reviews of Skin Needling
We did an analysis of online review to get a hold over the experiences people have had while undergoing this treatment.
Here is a summary of what, those you have used this treatment, liked and disliked about it:
What they liked about it
Time effective: Many consumers were happy with the fact that skin needling is a rather time effective method. It does not damage the epidermis and hence the healing process is quick. It affected a 20% betterment of skin texture in less than a week.
No sensitivity: Unlike other treatments which make the skin extremely sensitive to sun exposure, this is rather safe. By not making the skin sensitive, many people believe that it does not hamper their physical activity, in and out of the house.
Skin texture: A lot of consumers experienced a better skin tone and texture after the treatment. It tends to make their skin smooth and soft and makes them look more youthful.
What they did not like about skin needling
Made scarring worse: A few people underwent experiences wherein in spite of healing the scars, it made them worse.
These cases, however, are very rare and happen mostly when proper precautions are not taken.
It is usually advisable to undergo this treatment only under the supervision of a registered dermatologist.
Expensive: The expense factor draws in for some consumers only when the insurance company is not willing to cover the costs of a cosmetic treatment.
In any case, it is relatively cheaper than laser treatments.
Skin needling has proved quite effective in most cases and also saves you from all the side effects that laser treatment might result in. what more, it is a relatively cheaper option.
The treatment is quick, efficient and will make your skin glow with all the damage peeled off your face.
Our articles are written by writers with a deep domain understanding of the topic and usually hold Bachelors / Masters degrees. The articles are peer-reviewed before being uploaded on the website. Our writers spend 10s of hours researching and writing articles which are factual and comprehensive. Check out about our team in About Us section.