Stretch marks usually occur when your skin stretches beyond its natural limit.
The layers that lie beneath the skin surface has connective fibers which begin to get weaker and breaks making the skin to lose its elasticity.
This results in the formation of discolored bands on the skin’s surface.
There are an array of creams and lotions available in the market which claim to remove the stretch marks effectively.
However, many prefer to opt for naturally made hydrating ingredients that are effective and safe.
Cocoa butter is one such option that can offer a visible effect at low costs.
Cocoa butter, which is also called as cacao butter, is a natural fat obtained from the cocoa bean.
This butter of cocoa is solid when kept at room temperature and has a low melting point.
The cocoa butter has a smooth texture and is loaded with antioxidants that help in the removal of stretch marks and perform skin repair effectively.
The cocoa butter is rich in nourishing properties that is highly used in moisturizing creams and lotions.
The emollient properties possessed by cocoa butter make it a good option to treat stretch marks.
Can Cocoa Butter be used for Stretch Marks?
Cocoa butter is used for stretch marks as it is rich in hydrating properties and this makes the dry skin with stretch marks to stay fully nourished thereby reducing the visibility of the stretch marks.
The low melting point of cocoa butter makes it melt when it is applied to your body due to body temperature.
This makes the skin to absorb it easily and offers it the ability to penetrate through its layers.
This is not all, the presence of antioxidants makes cocoa butter a perfect natural moisturizer.
Overall, these properties help in improving the skin’s elasticity and reduce the visibility of stretch marks and its scars.
Though cocoa butter cannot help you get rid of the stretch marks completely as it does not possess the ability to improve the collagen levels in the skin, it can prevent the occurrence of stretch marks in future as it hydrates and nourishes the skin.
However, you can try using cocoa butter along with a collagen-enhancing product to experience good results after consulting a skin specialist.
Whether you treat the stretch marks or not it would fade away eventually.
However, when this happens naturally, it might take a long time.
However, with cocoa butter, you can speed up the fading process and the skin will be moisturized well.
Why should you use cocoa butter on stretch marks?
You can use cocoa butter on your stretch marks as it offers the following benefits. They are:
- Promotes skin elasticity
- Enhance suppleness of skin
- Hydrates the dry skin
- Has a low melting point and thus can penetrate the skin layers and reach the dermis
- Very safe for nursing mothers or pregnant mothers and the baby as it has no side effects
- Rich in natural antioxidants
- Has shelf life: 2 – 4 years
How to use cocoa butter for stretch marks?
If you are planning to use cocoa butter for stretch marks, then make sure that you follow the steps discussed below.
- Cleanse the areas where you intend to apply cocoa butter well and towel dry. Take some cocoa butter on your fingertips and apply it as dots on the skin surface.
- Now massage the cocoa butter into the skin using circular motions. Make sure the entire area of stretch marks is covered well. Repeat this regime twice a day, once in the morning after the shower and second at night before you retire to sleep.
- Wait until the cocoa butter is absorbed into your skin before you wear the dress. As the coca butter melts when you rub it on your skin, spend 5 minutes massaging the area to make sure that it is absorbed well by the skin and its layers.
- If you are pregnant, make sure you apply it on all areas that are prone to stretch marks and massage well. This will help you stay free from stretch marks.
- Use cocoa butter on the skin for a regular period of time as it makes the skin to stay hydrated and supple for a long time.
Precautions while using cocoa butter for stretch marks
Make sure you consider the following precautions while using cocoa butter for stretch marks.
- Not for those who have skin issues like eczema but can consult a doctor and then use if advised
- Not recommended for those with nut allergies
- Cocoa butter does not have any sunblock factor and hence do not step out without a sunblock product as UV rays might harm you.
Cocoa butter is widely used as a home remedy for stretch marks because it’s hydrating properties.
While using it you will not get rid of the marks but it surely will help lighten them. It is safe even for pregnancy stretch marks.