Argania spinosa (argan) is a tree that grows in the semi-arid regions of North Africa – especially in south west Morocco – in the Sous valley.
The tree has thorny, knotted trunks, small leaves and pale yellow-green flowers.
Each argan tree can live for 150-200 years and grows up to 8-10 metres. The fruit of the argan tree contains 2-3 kernels rich in oil.
Argan oil offers many benefits for it is high in antioxidants like tocopherol (vitamin E), oleic acids, linoleic acds, squalene, polyphenols and more.
Table of Contents
Benefits of Argan Oil for Hair
Argan oil is very popular among the elite in the west for its various benefits for the hair and skin. Apart from being a superb hair conditioner, it can treat a variety of hair problems.
The high levels of fatty acids and vitamin E found in argan oil makes it an effective moisturizer.
Argan oil provides the following benefits for hair:
- It is a popular addition in many hair salons for it is an excellent hair styling product
- It protects hair, restores strength and nourishes it from the root to the tips
- Can be used for a hot oil treatment
- It promotes hair growth
- Helps de-tangle hair
- Restore glow to dull hair
- Treat various scalp conditions like:
- Dry hair
- Split ends
- Frizzy hair ,
- Natural antioxidants restore strength and luster to hair cuticles. It can also reverse cellular damage.
How to use Argan oil for the Hair
There are many simple ways to use argan oil for the hair.
Pour some concentrated argan oil into your regular hair conditioner and apply on your hair.
Leave this for thirty minutes, making sure it is applied all over the hair – especially at the ends.
This will give deep conditioning treatment for your hair. You can also apply argan oil to your full hair right to the tips. Wrap in a warm towel for 30 minutes and wash with warm water using a mild and gentle organic shampoo.
Apply argan oil all over, especially at the roots and leave over night. Wash with a gentle shampoo.
Repeat this at lease twice a week to get relief from dry scalp conditions and get silky smooth hair.
For both dry and damaged scalp, you can apply 2-3 drops argan oil to the hair roots and massage gently into the scalp.
Use a comb to spread the oil evenly to every strand.
Keep adding a few drops until all your hair is covered. This can be left on hair for the whole day and washed off in the evening.
Frizzy Hair: take some (couple of drops) argan oil in your palm and then rub into the ends of hair strands.
Argan Oil Products For The Hair
You can find several argan oil products for the hair at online shopping sites.
- ‘Agadir Argan Oil Treatment’ contains 100% certified pure argan oil. It is said to soften, restore and strengthen dry, frizzy, brittle and damaged hair. It promotes hair growth and is light and non-greasy. Most reviews state that it is a great product that gives soft, shiny and bouncy hair.
- ‘Argan oil for hair and skin by Poppy Austin’ is one of the most popular brands of argan oil sold on Amazon. It provides salon-style smooth and silky hair and is also an approved organic product. Customers who reviewed the product mostly state that it delivers what it promises.
Argan oil is considered safe to use on the skin and no chronic or acute side effects have been reported.
It is important to ensure that the argan oil you purchase is pure.
Some hair products will list argan oil as one of many ingredients and not the primary ingredient.
This means that users will not really get the full benefits of argan oil. Make sure that the product you purchase does not have synthetic ingredients in them that can be harmful in the long run to hair. So, look for products that have a label stating 100% argan oil.
Get organic argan oil so that you know that the trees were cultivated without using harmful chemicals.
Argan oil must be stored in dark colored glass bottles (usually cobalt blue or amber) or stainless steel or aluminum. Do not buy argan oil stored in plastic or clear bottles for light would have penetrated and destroyed some of its key ingredients.
Argan oil is expensive, so if you are offered cheap oil, make sure you are really getting argan oil. Texture should be silky smooth and not watery, slimy or sticky.
Argan oil should feel soothing on the skin and should not sting your scalp. So, keep these tips in mind when choosing argan oil for hair.